Friday, July 9, 2010

An Olmsted Point Sunset


Photography is a demanding art form. If you're into stamp collecting, painting, playing the violin or just about anything else, your passion is at your command. You engage in it when you want, and when you're tired, you stop. Not so with photography.

I had spent a long day at Tuolumne Meadows. I had enjoyed a full day of hiking in the wind and cold; bundled up my jacket as the hail began to fall. This added weather meant for some interesting shooting.

But now it was time to go home. I was happy and feeling at peace, but very tired.

As I began my 3 hour drive home I thought about whether I would stop at Olmsted Point (my favorite Tioga Rd pullout) when I got to it. No, I was very tired, I really wanted to get home. But then, as the road wound its way up toward the point, I noticed that the granite yet caressed by the setting sun was unusually orange and vibrant. The last thing I felt like doing was digging my camera and lenses out, but, like all photographers, I am a slave to that master, light. I couldn't bear the thought that this wonderful moment - the fading suns brief affair with the sierra landscape, this brilliant alpenglow - would escape my cameras lens.

Shortly I reached Olmsted Pt, hopped out of my car while grabbing my camera and had time to take just two images (this one looking toward Half Dome) before the brilliant orange and yellows turned gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment