Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Sierra Nomad Visits Yellowstone - Lower Blacktail Deer Creek Trail






We were fortunate enough to have some "bad" weather each day. I love some wind and rain. It adds character to the landscape, and what is more, sends many people scurrying inside.

The next day I took the Lower Blacktail Deer Creek Trail into the Black Canyon of Yellowstone. I didn't find the trail itself all that fantastic, but the weather did make for some nice photo opps.

The wildflower display was quite nice. It seemed odd to be surrounded by wildflowers that were foreign to me. I knew some of the flowers: lupine, larkspur, and another flower that my wife and I thought was Mules' Ear, but turned out to be a close relative (the yellow flower here is Arrowleaf Balsaam Root).

The middle flower (pink) is Montana's State Flower, the Bitterroot. Small & delicate, it takes your breath away.

The flower on the bottom is Prairie Smoke, and it really caught my eye. The sun's rays caressed it gently, adding warmth to a thing of fragile beauty.

P.S. Thanks to Double Cabin & BackpackHNTR, both from the backpacker forum, for giving me an ID on the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment