Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Sierra Nomad Visits Yellowstone - Final Day






We had seen many buffalo throughout our 7 days in Yellowstone. I had hoped to get a good shot of one, but each time we saw them from the car there was traffic behind us and I didn't want to force everyone to wait for my pleasure. The park warns that you should maintain a distance of at least 25 yards from buffalo, so when I was out of the car I was too far away from them to get a nice shot.

So, by our final day, Sunday, I had given up hope of shooting buffalo. Then as we came over a hump in Hayden Valley we gasped to find that a buffalo herd was in the process of crossing the road right in front of us. Soon we found ourselves in the midst of the herd. The lighting wasn't great for shooting, but of the 30 or so images I shot in quick succession I got about 5 worth keeping.

As soon as the herd passed, I pulled off to the side of the road, got out and clicked a few shots as they left.

Yellowstone is a very special place. I don't believe I will ever find a location that will knock Yosemite out of First Place in my heart; but in visiting Yellowstone my heart was forced to make room, lots of room, for a place outside of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.

No comments:

Post a Comment